Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Good Ole' One Leg

My mixer's name is One Leg. Because she only has one beater. I read half of a book around the time my beater went MIA, called "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" by Katherine Boo. It's one of the few books I started reading, but didn't finish. It didn't hold my interest overall, but a character named One Leg sticks in my head. One Leg is a mother in a slum by the Mumbai airport. She has one leg. She is a prostitute. One Leg frames her neighbor for burning her, but she actually did it to herself. After I stopped reading the book I found out that it's a true story, which disturbs me. Anyway, I cannot help thinking about One Leg from the book whenever I use my poor little mixer. I didn't think One Leg, my mixer, would work very well with one beater, but she still mixes away just like Ole' One Leg from the book was able to do her thing. Please don't mock or underestimate my mixer nor the One Leg in Mumbai. One of these days I might buy new beaters. Only I probably won't.

Alli came home from school Friday and said kids with summer birthdays could pick any day to celebrate their birthday by bringing treats to school. Alli wanted to celebrate right away, so we made cookies yesterday. I had just seen the perfect recipe on one of my favorite blogs, All Things Thrifty! Brooke calls them "The easiest lemon cookies you will ever make." The main ingredient is a cake mix, and Brooke said you can use any flavor. Alli chose Funfetti and Strawberry. They were a big hit! Apparently Alli was chased from the school by kids wanting more of those cookies.

Cake Mix Cookies {Easy Peasy, just like Brooke says!}

     Cake mix - any flavor
     2 eggs
     1/3 c. oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients with One Leg until well blended.
Roll dough into balls and put on greased cookie sheets. I had help from Alli, Gwen, and our neighbor, Kayley. They would be happy to come to your house to help with your cookies.
Bake 10 minutes and cool. Brooke dusted her cookies with powdered sugar. I didn't have powdered sugar, so I just used sprinkles. I bet her mixer has two beaters, but it all comes out the same in the end...yummmmmy!
P.S. If any of my relatives that normally give me Christmas gifts are reading this, one idea for 2012 is new beaters. Don't tell me you're getting them though because I love surprises!

P.P.S. One Leg and I are available for school assemblies or other events. She has a very inspirational story about never giving up. Just email me to make arrangements. To clarify, I talking about the mixer, not the prostitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment